29th August 2018
SCARBOROUGH BEACH ASSOCIATION INC
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
6.30 PM TUESDAY 29 AUGUST 2018
The Sandbar, 1 Scarborough Beach Road, Scarborough
1. Meeting Opened: The meeting was declared open by the Chairman Wayne Bowen at 6.30pm and all attendees were welcomed.
Wayne Bowen gave a special welcome to our Local Member Hon Liza Harvey MLA, and acknowledged the apology we had received from Coastal Ward Councillor Karen Caddy.
2. Present: See attached List.
Karen Caddy, David Wilson, Peter Heeney, Rebecca Carr, Anthony Wilson, Jeff Wright.
4. Minutes of the Previous AGM. The minutes of the AGM held on 30 August 2017 were Moved Jenny Sampey and seconded Marlene Robins as being a true and accurate record of that meeting.
5. Chairman’s Report: Wayne Bowen thanked all for their attendance and read his report. (see below)
6. Treasurers Report: Wayne Bowen gave an overview of the Associations current financial position and confirmed the Association is financial. Copy of report is attached. Moved Rob Paparde and seconded Phil Smith that the financial report be accepted.
7. Nominations and Election of Committee of Management:
Kara Kilgallon has advised that she will be stepping down from the Committee effective from this AGM. Wayne Bowen thanked Kara for her service over the last 12 months.
As required under the Constitution, half of the Committee must present for re-election at the AGM. Those presenting are Wayne Bowen, Ben Randall, Neil Bowie and Matthew Richardson. It was Moved Devyani Shah and Seconded Karl McGough that all four be re-elected to the Committee.
Two new nominations were also received from Devyani Shah, whose family own the pharmacies in the Luna Centre and near the Post Office, and Graeme Lindfield, owner of Scarbra Barbra. It was Moved Ben Grummel and Seconded Marlene Robins that both be elected to the Committee.
8. Association Fees:
At the suggestion of the current Committee it was Moved by Chas Paridis and Seconded Devyani Shah that the membership fee structure remain unchanged, (apart from GST now being added), but all new members will now be subject to a nomination fee equal to one year’s subscription.
As such, the fees, including GST, for this financial year are:
Employees: $33.00 if their employer is a member
$66.00 if their employer is not a member.
9. Association Rules
In accordance with the requirements of the Act, the rules of our Association (Constitution), need to be updated and approved by the members by way of a Special Resolution. This resolution requires a 75% majority of those voting to approve these new rules. The new rules were emailed to members with the Notice of this AGM and the following Special Resolution was now put to the Members at the AGM:
The members having received a copy of the new rules of our Association have considered these rules and resolve to adopt them for the Association. The members further agree these Rules are to be lodged with the Department of Commerce within 21 days.
Moved: Devyani Shah Seconded: Jenny Sampey
Carried without dissent (100% majority)
10. General Business.
Chas Paridis thanked Wayne Bowen for leading the SBA and working to activate the beachfront.
Phil Smith thanked Geoff Counsel for all his work.
Wayne Bowen thanked Ben Randall for allowing us to use his venue.
11, Meeting Closed:
The meeting was closed at 7.00 pm
The 2017/18 Financial Year has seen your Association strengthen both financially and operationally to ensure we can carry forward our commitment to revitalizing the Scarborough Beach area in the coming year and many future years to come.
We have seen the end of the public works and roadways redevelopment and we are keenly looking forward to a return to the business of the past and ideally a significant increase in due course.
Our membership base as at 30 June 2018 was 58, up from 56 last year and I am pleased to report that the membership base has continued to grow in the last 2 months and providing all current members renew is around 70 at this point in time.
We continue to work closely with the MRA and the City of Stirling as we launch into our Activation Program for the coming year. At a recent sundowner with our members the broad concepts of this activation program were outlined and we are continuing along this path.
I would like to thank the City of Stirling for working closely with us and always offering their support both financially and operationally. This support is essential for us to achieve our goals ensuring Scarborough Beach remains Perth’s premier beach location.
I would also like to thank the Committee for their work in the last 12 months.
· The Association started off the year with a cash balance of $5,549.
· The balance at 30 June 2017 was $72,419.
· Total Revenue received from all activities was $242,423. This was well up on the $4,200 from last year. The revenue for this year comprised;
- Memberships $4,290
- Carols $51,950
- Sunset Markets $136,164
- MRA Sponsorship $50,000
· Total Expenses for the year were $170,905. The main expenses were;
- AGM & Members Functions & Meetings $1,774
- Carols $42,755
- Sunset Markets $125,687
· This resulted in a Net Surplus of $71,518